Monday, January 31, 2011

What's The Deal?!

I for the life of me cannot understand the deal with popularity. Why do people care so much? Is there a fundamental lack of self-worth or self-acceptance that goes hand in hand with the need be known/seen? Take a look around you. Everyone wants to be famous (or infamous) for something. You've got little kids growing up wanting to be the next teen sensation and 45 year old men playing shows in bars still waiting for their "big break" while in reality they've wasted 30 years chasing an illusion that was never meant to be theirs.

YouTube, Myspace, Facebook, and even blog sites like this one have given birth to a new era of narcissism. Welcome to our generation. Everything's about US, ME, MINE!!!!! LOOK AT ME!!! ARE YOU LOOKING YET?! What can I do to hold your attention? In my opinion this is the root of all our problems: We're simply too self-centered. We live our lives for number one. What college do I want to go to? What car do I want? What color ipod do I want? Want want want. Blah blah blah. We exist in a culture of noise & confusion.

Is there really ever a time we're not being bombarded with slogans & ideals screaming at us telling us we could be so much better IF...*insert quick fix for a long-term insecurity*. Since the 20's we've lived in a consumer's nation, and we've been bred for it. I can type out all I want and talk til I'm blue in the face, but the fact is, you probably don't care. I'll be lucky if you even read this. Why? Well, it is YOUR Facebook...YOUR time... YOUR apathy. You know what? I don't know what will fix this. I don't know how to make you see. I don't know why people spend so much time shopping for clothes to look a certain way, or fixing their hair to fit a certain facade, or shaping their features to fit an expectation. All I know is, I'm so done. I don't care what you think of me. If I decide to wear pajama pants to walk to my mailbox, I will. If I want to dye my nails neon pink and listen to Aerosmith, you can call me a poser. If I claim to be a Christian and mess up, you can call me a hypocrite. Because you know what? We're all unoriginal posers and hypocrites.

And hey, I want to be seen too. I want to be known. The thing is, I know who I already am. I'm a child of God. I'm not afraid to sound cliche or over-done here. I'm not a Christian. I'm a follower of Christ. I'm human. I'm flawed. I'm forgiven. All I'm asking is for people to start seeing past the North Face fleeces and Uggs & start seeing souls. I don't care if you don't remember my name, but I hope you "get it" before this life's over. This incredible opportunity called "existence" is SO not about us. So what's the deal?

-Chris.

No comments: