Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Contentment is...

It is a beautiful night
to be completely
solitary.
I'll bet it's a perfect
evening back home.
I'll bet the sun is 
sinking into an ocean
of magenta waves.
And I remember....

The scent of leaves
tickles my nostrils.
The trees are whispering.
A slow smile plays
on my rosy lips.
My acoustic rests
on my cozy frame.
I am fingering the
comfortingly familiar
chords, humming softly. 
I sink deeper into the 
front porch glider,
kicking off with 
my right foot. 
Swinging,
singing,
swaying. 
My oversized sweater
hangs loosely, and I
feel every current as
the breeze caresses me.
I have caught a chill,
but this would not be
the first time.
Sometimes it is 
refreshing to feel.
As the stars fight
against the city light,
I pause. 
I stare up at infinity,
wishing to be.
Wishing to understand.
Wishing to be understood.

But I am perfectly content here.
A cup of coffee and guitar
are all I need.
I am wiser than last autumn.
I am not afraid anymore.
Yes, I am sure it is a
perfect evening back home.
But it is a perfect evening
in Chicago, because I am
exactly where
I need to be. 


Christina Sawyer (c) 2012